Health is wealth. That is indeed the truth to all of us. However, it is no secret that our human body weakens as we age. The older we get, the more health issues we have to experience. Sometimes, we would also suffer if we continue to neglect our body. The only thing we could do is to take care of our health. Otherwise, we would get sick. So, make sure to eat well and avoid drinking so much alcohol. If you could not do that, you would suffer from stomach issues. Some could lead to colorectal cancer. You see, there are 1,865 cases of colorectal cancer each year. For you not to be a part of that percentage, be sure to visit a colorectal clinic in Singapore. Doing so might prevent you from developing one, and that could save your life.
When must you see a colorectal doctor?
What is a colorectal doctor?
Before this article discusses when you should see a colorectal doctor in Singapore, you must know first who they are. As you may know, they are not just a doctor. They are a specialist that can treat conditions related to the small intestine, colon, rectum, and anus. Besides these conditions, they could also tend infection, incontinence, inflammatory bowel as well as colon cancer,
So, when must you see one?
Consider going to a colorectal clinic if you are experiencing these following symptoms or conditions.
- You have a boil around your anus or groin area.
- Urine or bowel incontinence.
- You bleed when you bowel or your stool becomes black and has a sticky texture.
- You suddenly feel constipated for no reason.
- Your abdominal, anal or rectal area is in pain.
If you are experiencing any of these, consult a colorectal doctor as soon as possible. Doing so would prevent you from undergoing colorectal surgery.
Others reasons why you should seek a colorectal doctor
- You have digestive conditions that require intensive monitoring. (e.g., rectal prolapse or ulcerative colitis)
- Your primary doctor advises you to get a colonoscopy in a specialised clinic in Singapore.
- Or they find a condition that needs further analysis like blood in your stool.
Make sure when you see a colorectal doctor, they are highly skilled with years of experience. That way, you would know that you are in good hands.
Who should see a colorectal doctor?
For sure, most people do not know or have not heard of a colorectal doctor before unless their primary care doctor says so. That is probably the same for you and why you are here today. Your primary care doctor has asked you to see a colorectal doctor when they notice a complex condition that is not their field of expertise.
For example, when you start to bleed as bowel or you suddenly feel constipated and diarrhoea. If this happens to you, you might have a bowel obstruction or worse, colon cancer.
So, once you have noticed the symptoms mentioned above, be sure to visit a colorectal clinic in Singapore right away. Remember, early prevention is better than care. It reduces your chances of developing a severe condition.
What does a colorectal doctor can treat?
As mentioned before, a colorectal doctor can treat various conditions as long as it is related to the intestine, colon, and anus. To further understand what they can treat, here is a list to help you figure out.
- Colon cancer
- Infection in the area around the rectum and anus
- Ulcerative colitis
- Crohn’s disease
- Pelvic organ prolapse
- Ongoing diarrhoea and constipation
- Urinary retention or incontinence
What test will you encounter when you see a colorectal doctor?
A colorectal doctor can perform various diagnostic and screening examinations to determine what is going on with your health. Here is what you will usually encounter.
- Barium enema
- It is an x-ray to detect if there is any abnormal bump around your colon.
- Often to look for any sign of cancer on the entire colon or any bleeding from the rectum.
- Digital rectal examination
- They use this type of screening to feel any abnormalities such as blood in your stool.
- This test uses a short, lighted tube to examine the rectum.
- Virtual colonoscopy
- To identify any abnormalities in the colon either through a CT scan or MRI.
What procedures does a colorectal doctor can do?
Other than those above, a colorectal doctor can also do these following once they determine your condition. Be sure to read the description along with it.
- Bowel obstruction repair
- To remove what is blocking around the colon and repair it afterwards.
- Often called as colon resection. This procedure could either remove all or some parts of the colon.
- It could also allow stool to go from the intestine to the abdomen.
- Haemorrhoid removal
- To remove the haemorrhoids around the anus.
- To take antibiotics and anti-inflammatory through oral or injection.
- Pelvic Laparoscopy
- To check if there are any problems around the colon or urinary tract.
What to expect on your first appointment with a colorectal doctor?
There is nothing much to expect aside from the colorectal doctor asking you about your health. They will need to know if you are experiencing any discomfort or pain. If you do, you might need to get a test within the day. For complex examination, they might ask you to come back again since others require fasting.
Nevertheless, what you need to bring is the same as when you visit your primary care doctor. You would need to prepare this following before you go to one.
- Health card
- Medical records
- A few set of clothes
- A list of medication you took in the past and your current prescription
Once you gather these things, you are now ready to visit a colorectal doctor in Singapore. If you do not know anyone, go to Dr QM Leong. He will treat you with the utmost care until you get well.