Six Symptoms of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide is produced through the incomplete burning of gas and liquid petroleum gas. Carbon monoxide poisoning is very dangerous and potentially lethal.

Image Credit

What causes carbon monoxide poisoning to occur?

You are at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning if you have incorrectly fitted or poorly maintained gas appliances. Even if these appliances were fitted correctly, flue vents or chimneys can become blocked over time, so they should be checked regularly by a qualified professional.

Signs of carbon monoxide poisoning

• Headaches

• Nausea

• Dizziness

• Breathlessness

• Loss of consciousness

• Collapse

Image Credit

These last two signs will render you incapable of getting help. However, if you observe these signs in those around you in the house, get help immediately. It is worth noting that the smaller you are, the more quickly you will be affected. Look out for these signs in pets and young children.

It is also important to recognise where you feel these symptoms. If your headache and nausea always seem to clear when you are away from the house, this could indicate that you have a carbon monoxide problem in the house.

If you experience these symptoms for any length of time, seek help from your doctor.

How to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning

Never assume that your gas appliances are safe. Have them checked regularly to avoid any issues occurring. There are specialists offering precisely these checks as an integral part of a Cheltenham boiler service, such as http://www.hprservicesltd.com/cheltenham-boilers/boiler-service-cheltenham/. For other areas, please check online.

The Gas Safety Register

The Gas safety register was set up to replace CORGI in 2009. By law, all Gas Safety engineers must be on this register. This will be separate to the registration of plumbers on other sites. Ensure that the company you call for your boiler service or appliance check is registered at https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/

Carbon Monoxide Alarms

It is important to get an audible carbon monoxide alarm to warn you of any dangers or leaks from your gas appliances. These are available in most hardware stores, and you can order them online. They are not very expensive. They are invaluable as carbon monoxide is tasteless, colourless and odourless. Even if it doesn’t kill you outright, it can still cause paralysis or brain damage. An audible alarm can save your life, so it’s a good idea to get one installed.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *